- Problem Statement
- Rules and Regulations
- Scoring Pattern
- Shortlisted Teams
No more ‘simplify’, ‘reduce’ or ‘shorten’ but more and more of ‘complicate’, ‘convolute’ and ‘interweave’. Keep going at it until you can’t recognize your right from your left, and voila!!! Here you are at Contraptions!!! The event where a seemingly simple task is performed with so many twists and turns that it could very well be called the Chain Reaction of engineers.
The problem consists of three steps.
The dustbin provided should be opened by pressing the pedal given at its base. Pressure should be maintained to keep it open.
Now three waste plastic bottles should be thrown one after another into the dustbin.
Now a recording, “Avoid plastics and save the planet”, must be played and the dustbin closed.
Points are given for each move and additional points will be awarded if all the three tasks are completed.
- Each team can have 4-6 members. *
- Register your team here.
- The team* should submit a detailed abstract of all the steps and the energy conversions involved in each step.
- Selection of teams for the finals will be based on the abstract.
- Selected teams are requested to bring 5 copies of the detailed abstract.
- Change of steps is not encouraged after the submission of abstracts. Addition of steps is permitted.
- The teams are required to bring standard 1ltr bottles without any FMCG company names on them.
- The entire contraption set up must fit in an 8 feet * 8 feet area.
- Maximum of 3 interventions are allowed per trial.
- Participants are allowed to skip a maximum of two steps after intervention in any trial and these steps will not be awarded any points.
- Time interval of 15-20 minutes will be given between each trial.
- Failure to start the contraption by the participants when asked to do so will result in disqualification.
- The steps must not involve any explosive chemical Reaction. Such a step will lead to disqualification of the team.
- Maximum time allowed for a trial is 15 min.*
- Judges’ decision will be final.
- The last date for submission of abstracts is December 26th,2009.
- Download the abstract format here.
The scoring pattern is not finalized and may be subjected to minor changes. The exact scoring pattern will be updated soon.
All steps do not carry equal weightage - Sound (10 pts), Magnetic (10 pts), Light (10 pts), Electrical or Electronic (9 pts), Mechanical (9 pts), Chemical (9 pts).
A - Total number of steps involving sound, magnetic and light.
B - Total number of steps involving mechanical energy, electronic or electrical and vibration.
C - Total number of steps involving chemical energy.
D - Number of parallel contraptions.
E - Number of energy conversion till the contraption stops.
F - Number of interventions in the trial.
G - Points for innovation.
H - If all the three bottles are correctly put into the dustbin. (50)
I - If the dustbin is closed at the end. (50)
J - If the recording is properly played. (50)
If all the three tasks are completed, a bonus of 100 points will be given.
The total score Z is calculated as follows:
Z= 10*A + 9*B + 8*C + 30*D + 10*E – F*5 + G + H + I + J + Bonus
NOTE: A parallel contraption must contain a minimum of 10 moves between its start and end (convergence) or else it will not be considered as a parallel contraption move.
- Students with a valid identity card from their respective institutions are eligible for participation.
- Teams can be formed by students of different colleges.
Prashanth R- +91 98843 09774
Sheikh Mohd Fazil M - +91 98845 87270
The shortlisted Team Names are as follows
- BUSY BEES
- PHOENIX UNLEASHED
- MANU PHOENIX
- BRAIN HACKERS
- 6 IDIOTS
- NIKUMO NIKATHO
- CRAZY GOERS
- ROCK CITY REACTORS
- MECH MANIAC
- LAMBA JUKKA
- IDHUDHANDA KONTRAPTION
- TECH TEAM
- FIRE BOLTS
- Onsite Programming Contest
- Network Warriors
- Online Programming Contest
- K MAD!!!
- Game AI Contest